Friday, August 7, 2009

When in Fiji...

...well, I say go big or go home! I am an avid reader of Travel & Leisure magazine, and recently came across an amazing article in a back issue about one of the many private islands, Wakaya, in the Fiji group. Fiji has always been on my top 10 list of places to visit in my lifetime, so it immediately caught my attention, and WOW, what a discovery!

If you are looking for an extravagant, once in a lifetime spot for your honeymoon this is IT. The Wakaya Club & Spa is an all-inclusive resort on a private 2,200 acre island owned by David & Jill Gilmour (they also developed the FIJI bottled water brand). To give you an idea of just how luxe this place is, let me share a few of my favorite details. First, a Wakaya resort representative will meet you at the main airport and personally fly you in their private Grand Cessna airplane to your destination. Since most flights land in this area of the world in the sunrise hours, check in is guaranteed as you step off the Cessna starting at 7am, and checkout is not until 4pm, so that you don't lose any valuable time on your last day. With a staff to guest ratio of 12 to 1, there isn't much you'll have to ask for!

Once on the island, you can just lounge around in your private 0ceanfront bure, or take advantage of the local culture and scenery. The island is completely surrounded by a coral reef, and being in one of the least pollutated geographical areas on the planet, the sites are spectacular.



Now, with my ridiculous taste, I would of course want to spring for the best of the best, which is a 12,000 square foot private villa called Vale O with panoramic ocean views from its hilltop setting. At $7,600 a night (before tax!), I could stay for about...an hour? :)

Also noteworthy is the Gilmours' philanthropy to the Fiji people and culture. They've been recognized by the government for their committment to the preservation of the Fijian culture as well as their personal donations and investments in the educations system on the island as well as their scholarships for Fijian youth to continue in secondary education.

Hope you have as much fun dreaming about this magical place as I do!